Friday 5 June 2015

Welcome

I’m Sharee. I am a mum who has a couple of kids, one of which has Special Needs.  I don’t have “super powers”, I was not “picked” and I’m not special or unique. I am just a mum who loves her kids, does what she can for them and tries to make sure her day runs smoothly.  See that’s not unusual at all is it?

My special needs son is Owen and he is nearly 8 years old. I won’t go into his diagnosis now but I will point out he does not walk independently, he does not talk and he is behind in many ways. We are working on independent movement, communication and a lot of other things too.  Fortunately he has mastered the art of smiling and melting my heart.

The road he has taken me on is a long road and can be bumpy at times. Sometimes I take a wrong turn, get bogged or go the wrong way.  There also seems to be a few tolls (aka equipment and other expenses) and lots of pit stops (aka doctors, sickness and therapy).  Many people have and continue to help us find our way. For that I am grateful.  

Along the way I have picked up a few tips and come up with (or modified) a few ideas that help make the road a bit smoother and/or cheaper. So this Blog is not about my journey nor is it about Owen’s journey, it is about sharing some of these tips and ideas in the hope they help even just one person.  I will share details about how I organise Owen’s information, how I organise for appointments, how I set up his wheelchair/equipment and about some items I have created to help with his development or movement.

Please bear in mind any items I have made have only been tested on my son, they suit him and his needs.  They have not been tested on a differently abled child.  Please consider your child’s temperament and ability when considering constructing one of my creations. Something safe for my son may prove otherwise with yours.  You might need to tweak the design for your child’s needs.



No comments:

Post a Comment