Thursday 11 June 2015

How to make your own Sensory Fence attachment


Last week I explained how you can make your own sensory boards.  You can use some of these boards and other things to make your own sensory fence.  Sensory walls and fences can be very expensive (up to around $1000.00) and you will find not every item on them will appeal to your child. By taking my time when collecting items, I can usually make one of my fence attachments for less than $100.00 and can guarantee Owen will love it.

Preparation

Like when making a sensory board think about your child, what interests them (sound, vision and touch wise) and what skills you are trying to develop.  Think about some types of activities you want to set up i.e. do you want them to scratch, poke, pull, feel etc.  Then progressively buy things that meet that criteria.  I find “junk” or “cheap” shops excellent.  I look in their party, pet toy, toy and kitchen sections.  I also go to lots of op shops as they often have used xylophones, tambourines etc, at very reasonable prices. Once you have all your sensory supplies it is time to put it together.   


What you need:

  • A piece of UV protected plastic lattice (size it according to the location you will be attaching it)
  • 2-3 tie down/lashing straps
  • Various sensory boards
  • Other sensory items/toys you want to attach
  • Cable ties
  • Elastic
  • Drill
  • Nail clippers
  • Scissors

Instructions

  • Prepare your sensory boards. Drill two additional holes near each bottom corner (not too close or you will split the board) so you can attach it to the Lattice.  You will use the handle of the chopping board to attach the top.
  • With any toys, think about how you might attach them to the lattice, use any wheels etc and if there is no other option, drill holes.
  • Lay the lattice flat on the ground, and set out what you want to place and where. When thinking about this consider how your child will be accessing the board.For example, Owen practices standing at his, sitting, kneeling and rocking on a rocking horse. Standing and kneeling are his least favourite activities  (they are the hardest work for him), so I place the most appealing items at those heights. These also tend to be easier items to use as he uses much concentration on the hard activities he has little patience for more difficult activities.
  • Attach with cable ties or elastic (if you want the toy to be able to be shaken).
  • Turn the lattice over, trim all the cable ties with scissors, then back to the base with the toe nail clippers (this gets rid of sharp edges).
  • I run my fingers along all the cut cable ties to double check there are no sharp edges.
  • Position your lattice on your veranda rail or fence and use the tie downs to attach. The great thing about using these, is you can move it as required. I do warn you, attaching it can be a bit fiddly and I usually wind it once around one of the rails whilst wrapping it around the veranda rails to stop it moving.


Where did I find some of the items and special notes?
I have included some links below.  I am in no way affiliated with any of these stores.
  • I use plastic lattice as they don’t need painting, are easy to clean and attach things to and to things).  I use this one from Bunnings (click here to view). They used to have a black one but I can only get the cream one these days.  At $35.00, they are great for this purpose. 
  • Regarding the tie downs, I prefer the ones that just thread through and have no hooks that I get  from Bunnings (click here to view) however use what you are comfortable with.
  • The xylophones were purchased from op shops and as they have “keyboards” I pop an old thong at the back to tilt it enough to allow the keys to work.  
  • The castanets were bought from Daiso as I liked the bright colours, I attach them by threading the zip ties through the elastic at the back.
  • The bike horns were from a cheap shop and if you find such an item too noisy just put some strong tape across the horn side.
  • The Maracas are just from cheap shops, you can put a cable tie around the narrow part and tread elastic through and attach them that way.
  • The bright mice are cat toys, they were $3.00 each at our cheap shop.  They are a favourite with young and old.
  • If you are using gloves filled with rice, seal them using two lots of cable ties and make sure you use high quality ones.
  • Don’t forget simple things like curling ribbon, my son loves that.
  • The fabric circles are just pieces of fabric in embroidery hoops. I trim the fabric after I have placed them.   I got the hoops from Spotlight but have seen them in Lincraft and on-line.  Always have spare fabric as the fabric can deteriorate over time and sometimes kids pop them out.  It is quicker and easier just to put a new piece in.
  • Not that I have done this but you could buy an activity cube (pictured above) and take it apart, drill holes in each panel and attach the panels to your fence.  I’ve seen them listed cheaply at times on e-bay, in Kmart etc but very expensive too.  So shop around.
  • If you want to know about a specific item I have not covered, please feel free to post a question in the comments and I will reply as soon as I can.
Happy  creating                

No comments:

Post a Comment