Friday 5 June 2015

The “Sara Lee” method and kitting out your child’s wheelchair

Before I get into “construction” Blog entries I thought I would introduce you to the “Sara Lee” time saving and convenience approach I use.  I don’t know how many of you saw “Sara Lee” ads as children but I remember a lady in the ad’s saying “layer upon layer upon layer”.  So with this in mind let me introduce my two “Sara Lee” methods.

Bed making:
My son doesn’t have top sheets, he wears sleepsuits.  When making his bed, I layer and alternate waterproof mattress protectors and sheets until I have made the bed 4 times (sometimes I do 5).  When Owen has a leak or vomit in the night I can just pull back a layer, throw it in the wash and change him without having to get him out of bed as I have another layer waiting.  Doing so many layers means Owen can have 3 accidents before I have to make the bed again.  I started doing this as Owen’s bed is a bit awkward to make and accidents always happen in the middle of the night.  It is a very sad moment indeed when I reach his mattress.

Pull-ups on outings:
As many of you are aware, there are limited change facilities for our kids out and about.  People often have to change their children on the floor of a disabled bathroom.  Owen can weight bear whilst leaning against me, so I use this to my full advantage (and his).  When we head out I double layer pull ups.  This way, when he needs changing, I just kneel down, lean him against me, pull down the pull-ups, tear and remove the used one, clean him and pull the others back in place.  He hasn’t touched a dirty floor, nor have I had to completely undress him or remove his shoes.  Easier and quicker for the both of us.

Kitting out the wheelchair.
I have attached a cheap basket (with holes) to the bottom of Owen’s wheelchair with zip ties.  This saves hanging heaps of things off the back of the chair.  See Below:

In this basket I make sure I have:
  • A small picnic rug (for floor changing if required or just a place for him to sit.
  • A small change mat wallet (one that fits a couple of nappies, wipes, small hand sanitiser, gloves and nappy bags and folds up nicely.
  • A change of clothes, a hat and a bib.
  • A sipper cup, one of Owen’s special milks.
  • A syringe that fits straight into his button in case of emergency.
I keep this stocked so If I have to head out in the hurry I can.  If we are heading out for longer I do have a lunch bag I can hang on the back for food. 


Other items you need on the chair:
  •  “Pram” drink holder like the one to the right, hat I have attached to the back of his head rest (no hot drinks though).  Most department stores have a heap to choose from in their baby section.
  • A toy/activity to keep your child occupied.
  • A waterproof chair mat on the seat.  That way if there is an accident, you can just pull it off and wash it.


Until next time

Sharee





No comments:

Post a Comment