Sunday 29 November 2015

Day Procedures - you've got this!

I have a few tips that help day procedures run more smoothly.

1/ If someone offers to come with you, say yes (even if you want to say no because you don't want to "bother" anyone or put them out) .  I used to do it on my own but every time I had to go to the bathroom I had to search for a nurse, get them to watch Owen and tell them where I was going.  One time I could not find a nurse, we were alone in the waiting room and crossing my legs is not my favourite pastimes.  I always have heaps of stuff too, so going into theatre or recovery meant I left them unattended.  So now, when possible, I take someone.

2/ Take your own nappies, wipes, food, formula, syringes and other feeding paraphernalia with you.  They tend to keep you for a minimum of an hour once you get back to the day procedure unit (depending on your child's issues) .  Whilst they have supplies for "Average Joe" they don't have easy access to special milks, tubes, purees etc. So you spend time waiting around for them to find what you need, when you could have fed your child and gotten out of there.

3/ If it is easier to weigh your child at home, do so in the day or so before you go (they are generally happy to accept the weight you have taken) or if they have been weighed in the last few weeks, mention that.  Make sure you know the current medication and doses that your child ison.  Take your child's medical folder in case you have to refer to it.  If you haven't seen my post about medical housekeeping you can find it at http://hintstipsandhacks.blogspot.com.au/2015/06/medical-information-housekeeping.html   

4/ Take some snacks for you and your helper.  It's a long day after all!

5/ Get as much of the above organised on the day before, so you can just pop it all in the car and go.

6/ Take a deep breath.................you've got this!




No comments:

Post a Comment