Friday 29 July 2016

Kitting out your car for a quick get away..............

One of my earliest blogs covered how to kit out your child's wheelchair so you can head out in a hurry.  Here is a link to that blog post: the-sara-lee-method-and-kitting-out your child's wheelchairFurther to that post,  I don't always take Owen out in his wheelchair but I'm still keen to get out in a hurry. 

We have a special harness that lets Owen sit in a normal car seat. We use this seat if we are taking out other equipment such as his walker, jogging stroller or tricycle. They take up the space his wheelchair would have taken up which means no wheelchair (or the things I kitted out his wheelchair with). I have had to have a nappy bag ready, then remember to throw it in the car. Additionally, I sometimes need to change him in the back of the car (due to the lack of adequate change facilities at parks etc).   So I decided to kit out my car for changing Owen and other things I might need for outings where we don't have his chair. 


Solution:  Car seat organisers. I bought two $5 car seat organisers from Kmart ( you can get them from just about anywhere though) and placed them on the back of the back seats (see below) that Owen's wheelchair sits between. He can't reach them from his wheelchair (otherwise the contents would be spread across the car before I even got out of the driveway) but if I'm changing him everything in easy reach for me.


What Did I Pack?

  • Sipper cup
  • Spoon
  • Snack food (for Owen it's baby food custard custard etc as he still likes them)
  • Feeding tubes and syringes
  • Baby Wipes
  • Antibacterial wipes
  • Tissues
  • Disposable change pads
  • Several emergency toys
  • Nappy disposal bags
  • Sick bag
  • Disposable gloves
  • Hand sanititizer
  • Nappies
  • Hat
  • Pen
  • Bib
  • Sunscreen (not officially in there yet but will be)
  • Nappy cream
  • Umbrella

Stored elsewhere in the car:

  • Change of clothes
  • Fold-able picnic rug
  • Bike pump (in case his tricycle or jogging stroller tyres need pumping up and trust me it's happened)
  • Screw driver set (I've needed it for his bike trailer)
  • A box of muesli bars (so I can grab one if I'm hungry)

Writing the above list makes me wonder if I was meant to be a boy scout........as it appears Owen and I will be ready for just about anything!  I hope you will be too :-).












No comments:

Post a Comment